- Born in Osaka, Japan
- BFA in Sculpture, University of Tsukuba
- MFA in Sculpture, Kyoto City University of Arts
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- reverse of volume, Galerie Virginie Louvet, Paris, France
Casting The Invisible, Art Dubai Residents、Dubai, UAE
- vertical emptiness, ForteBank Kulanshi Art Space (Astana｜Kazakhstan)
Edges, ARTCOURT Gallery, Osaka
- vertical volume, The Mine, Dubai, UAE
reverse of volume, Arte Sella, Borgo Valsugana, Italy ['-18]
- vertical space, Newman Club, Newman, Australia
contour of gravity, Gallery OUT of PLACE TOKIO, Tokyo
Jomon and Gendai vol.3 “Penetrating Bowl", Kyoto University of Art and Design Art Museum, Kyoto
- Sakuya Konohana Collection ‘Yasuaki Onishi Exhibition – empty sculpture’, Artcourt Gallery, Osaka
vertical emptiness, Gallery Out of Place, Tokyo
- reverse of volume, The Mine, Dubai, UAE
reverse of volume, Joyce Gallery, Beijing｜China
- inner space, The Wilfrid Israel Museum, Hazorea, Israel
reverse of volume, Rice University Art Gallery, Houston, Texas, USA
reverse of volume, The Marlin and Regina Miller Gallery, Kutztown, USA
- reverse of volume, Aichi Prefectural Museum of Art, Nagoya
- reverse of volume, Vermont Studio Center Red Mill Gallery, Johnson, Vermont, USA
horizontal forest, Not Quite Gallery, Fengersfors, Sweden
ridge of boundary, para_SITE Gallery, Graz, Austria
reverse of volume, Kinokino Centre for Art and Film, Sandnes, Norway
- mountair, Kongsi, Enschede｜Netherlands
daily distance, Sølyst Artist in Residence Centre, Jyderup｜Denmark
- space between face and reverse, Pantaloon, Osaka
inner skin, Neutron, Kyoto
- breath nebula, INAX Gallery 2, Tokyo
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Water and Land Niigata Art Festival, Bandai Multi-purpose Plaza, Niigata
Primal Water: An Exhibition of Japanese Contemporary Art, Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art, Las Vegas, USA
New Japan, Solyanka State Gallery, Moscow, Russia
- On the Art of Building a Teahouse – Excursions into Japanese Aesthetics, Neues Museum, Nuernberg, Germany
Art at the Heart 2017, East Pilbara Art Centre, Newman, Australia
WORKING TITLE FESTIVAL, Recyclart, Brussels, Belgium
- Islamic Arts Festival, Sharjah Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE
Tatsuno Art Project: Resonance of Time and Space, Former Tatsuno Soy Sauce Brewing Factory and other locations, Hyogo
Maintenant 2016, Les Champs Libres, Rennes, France
Materiality - Immateriality Design & Innovation, ddd Gallery, Kyoto
SURFACING EARTH, Röda Sten Konsthall, Gothenburg, Sweden
Fresh Paint 8 International Exhibition - Tilted, Yarid Hamizrach, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Gakuenmae Art Week 2015, Tezukayama University, Nara
VIDE ET PLEIN, Espace Commines, Paris, France
Biela Noc, Kulturpark Alfa Gallery, Košice, Slovakia
from 8 Selection/Collection, Gallery OUT of PLACE, Nara
Drawing 04, Ginza Shibuya Gallery, Tokyo
Erosion/Transfiguration, Zuiun-an, Kyoto
Relief(s), Frac Centre, Orléans, France
Seeing Time – Time Traveller, Kala Gallery, Berkeley, California, USA
- Maison & Objet Trend Exhibition – Landscape, Paris Nord Villlepinte, Paris, France
In Search of Critical Imagination, Fukuoka Art Museum
- Mono No Aware. Beauty of Things. Japanese Contemporary Art, The State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia
Hanarart 2013, Asai Winery, Nara
Rokko Meets Art 2013, Rokko International Musical Box Museum and other locations, Hyogo
dreamscape – La porte de l’écume, Kyoto Art Center
- agora ‒ Miniartextil, Villa Olmo, Como, Italy
- Ways of Worldmaking, The National Museum of Art, Osaka
Japan Media Arts Festival, Hartware MedienKunstVerein, Dortmund, Germany
- The Transforming State, Religare Arts Initiative, Delhi, India
Art Court Frontier 2010 #8, ARTCOURT Gallery, Osaka
- Against the Sculptural ‒ Three Dimensions of Uncertainty, Seoul Museum of Art, Seoul, Korea
Home, Aomori Contemporary Art Centre, Aomori
Residency Project Part II, Kala Gallery, Berkeley, California, USA
SU:MBISORI, Jeju Museum of Art, Jeju, Korea
- point éphémère, Bunkamura Gallery, Tokyo
Eyes & Curiosity ‒ Japanese Contemporary Art, Soka Contemporary Space, Taipei, Taiwan
- ARTS CHALLENGE 2007, Aichi Arts Center, Nagoya
- Remove a sign. piano, piano, Osaka Port Red Brick Warehouse
- Selected Artists in Kyoto 2005 – New Wave, The Museum of Kyoto
- Toyota Art Competition 2004, Toyota Municipal Museum of Art
- Granship Award, Granship Art Competition
- 31st Sakuya Konohana Award
- 1st Shu-Ou Foundation Award for Art Studies Abroad
Taro Prize, The 10th Taro Okamoto Award for Contemporary Art
- Second prize, Jeans Factory Art Award 2006
Nominee, 9th Japan Media Arts Festival, Division of Art, Agency for Cultural Affairs
- Grand prize, Amuse Art Jam 2005 in Kyoto
Star Prize, 5th 21st Century Asia Design Competition
- Award for Excellence, Net Exhibition, Digital Photo Contest, Fine Art Section
- Jury’s prize, Epson Color Imaging Contest 2003
Grants and Residencies
- Production assistance grant from Project to Support the Nurturing of Media Arts Creators.
Grant and residency assistance from Oficinas do Convento, Montemor-o-Novo, Portugal.
- Receives Pola Art Foundation Grant for Overseas Study by Young Artists 2010, and studies in England.
- Receives fellowship from United States-Japan Foundation and carries out residency at Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, Vermont.
Production assistance grant from the Pollock-Krasner Foundation.
Receives grant from Not Quite Gallery and carries out residency as invited artist, Fengersfors, Sweden.
Residency, Religare Arts Initiative, New Delhi, India.
Grant and residency, The Rondo Studios, Graz, Austria.
Grant and residency, AiR Sandnes, Sandnes, Norway.
- Grant and residency, Aomori Contemporary Art Centre, Aomori, Japan.
Receives fellowship from Kala Art Institute and carries out residency at Kala Gallery, Berkeley, California.
Receives fellowship from IASK Asia Pacific Artists Receive Fellowship Residency Program (administered by National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art Korea), and in 2010, carries out residency at Goyang Art Studio, Goyang, Korea.
- Residency, Kunstenaarsinitiatief B93, Enschede, Netherlands.
Grant and residency, Sølyst Artists in Residence Centre, Jyderup, Denmark.
Yasuaki Onishi: Empty Sculpture More details
2018 ARTCOURT Gallery
Yasuaki Onishi: Edges
2017 ARTCOURT Gallery
Yasuaki Onishi: empty sculpture
2014 ARTCOURT Gallery
Click thumbnail for large image.