- Born in Kochi Prefecture.
- Completes a postgraduate course at the Kochi Prefectural School of Education.
- Meets Yoshihara Jirō at the Kobe Citizens’ Art course and begins studying under him.
- Helps form the Gutai Art Association [member until dissolution in ’72].
- Dies at the age of 84 on August 22.
- Masanobu Masatoshi Solo Exhibition, Gutai Pinacotheca, Osaka.
- 2nd Masanobu Masatoshi Solo Exhibition, Higashimon Gallery, Kobe.
- 3rd Masanobu Masatoshi Solo Exhibition, Gallery Adesso, Ashiya.
- Masanobu Masatoshi Exhibition: Focus on Early Gutai Works, Tor Road Gallery, Kobe.
- My Non-figurative Paintings: Focus on Old and New Small Works, Tea Room Bonton, Kobe.
- 6th Masanobu Masatoshi Solo Exhibition, Atelier Nishinomiya.
- Masanobu Masatoshi Exhibition, LADS Gallery, Osaka.
- Masanobu Masatoshi Exhibition, HAZ, Ashiya.
- Masanobu Masatoshi: Focus on the 1960s, Gallery Yamaguchi kunst-bau, Osaka/ Gallery Yamaguchi kunst-bau, Tokyo.
- Masanobu Masatoshi: A Gutai Painter, Ōtani Memorial Art Museum, Nishinomiya City/ The Museum of Art, Kochi.
- Masanobu Masatoshi, Axel Vervoordt Gallery, Antwerp/ Hong Kong.
- Masatoshi Masanobu: In Commemoration of the Publication of MASANOSHI MASANOBU, ARTCOURT Gallery, Osaka.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- RT Association Members’ Western-style Paintings Exhibition, Kochi Newspaper Building Rooftop.
- 29th Kōfūkai Exhibition, Tokyo Prefectural Art Museum.
- 23rd Kokugakai Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum/ Osaka City Museum of Fine Arts. [Participates in all Kokugakai Exhibitions until ’58 (Venue varies)]
2nd Ashiya City Art Exhibition, Buddhist Hall, Ashiya. [’50, ’51 Ten’yugō Frame Factory prize, ’52, ‘53 Board of Education prize, ’54 recommended as a formal member, ’55-’58, ‘59 Chairman of the Ashiya City Assembly Prize, ’62-’94, ’96 (Venue varies)]
- 9th Hyogo Prefecture Artists’ League Invitational Exhibition, Mitsukoshi Department Store, Kobe. Receives an honorable mention and recommended as an associate member. [’51 recommended as a formal member]
- 9th Lapin Members’ Exhibition, Bisendō Gallery, Kobe. [10th and 11th Exhibitions held in the same year (venue varies)]
- 1st Genbi Exhibition, Asahi Hall 5F, Kobe. [’55, ’56 (venue varies)]
- 7th Yomiuri Independent Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum.
Experimental Outdoor Exhibition of Modern Art to Challenge the Mid-summer Burning Sun, Ashiya Park.
1st Gutai Art Exhibition, Ohara Hall, Tokyo [Participates in all Gutai Exhibitions until ’68 (venue varies)].
- Shinkō Independent Exhibition, Shinkō Newspaper Building 3F Hall, Kobe.
Gutai Art Small Works Exhibition, Sanseidō Gallery, Tokyo. [’64-’69, ’71 (venue varies)]
- 1st Seikatsu Zōkei Exhibition, Daimaru Department Store 6F Hall, Kobe. [2nd Exhibition held in the same year]
- International Art of a New Era: Informel and Gutai, Takashimaya Department Store, Osaka/ Nagasaki/ Hiroshima/ Tokyo/ Kyoto.
- Arte Nuova, Circolo degli Artisti, Palazzo Graneri, Turin.
Fifteen Japanese Contemporary Artists Recommended by Tapié, Gendai Gallery, Tokyo.
- International Sky Festival, Takashimaya Department Store Rooftop, Osaka.
- Continuité et Avant-guarde au Japon, International Center of Aesthetic Research, Turin.
Gutai Small Works Exhibition, Nakanoshima Gallery, Osaka.
- Grand Opening Exhibition at the Gutai Pinacotheca, Osaka.
- Gutai Art New Works Exhibition, Gutai Pinacotheca, Osaka. [another exhibition the same year, and twice in ’64]
- Gutai Art New Small Works Exhibition, Gutai Pinacotheca, Osaka.
Trends in Contemporary Art: Painting and Sculpture, The Kyoto Annex Museum of The National Museum of Modern Art.
- Groupe Gutai, Galerie Stadler, Paris/ Cologne Museum of Art/ Mickery Art House, Loenersloot, Holland.
- 2e Salon international des galeries pilotes Lausanne, Musée Cantonal des Beaux-arts Palais de Rumine, Lausanne.
- Gutai Group presentation at the entrance to the Midorikan Pavilion in Japan Expo ’70, Suita, Osaka.
Last Exhibition at the Original Gutai Pinacotheca, Osaka.
- Opening Exhibition of the Gutai Mini Pinacotheca, Osaka.
- Yoshihara Jirō and His Circle, Fujimi Gallery, Osaka.
- 15th Anniversary Hyogo Prefecture Artists’ League Invitational Exhibition, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Modern Art, Kobe.
- Eighteen Years of Gutai Art, Osaka Prefectural Gallery.
- Yoshihara Jirō and Contemporary Aspects of Gutai, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Modern Art, Kobe.
- Yoshihara Jirō and Gutai 1954-1972, Ashiya Civic Center.
Action and Emotion, Paintings of the 1950s: Informel, Gutai, and Cobra, The National Museum of Art, Osaka.
Grupo Gutai: Pintura y Acción, Museo Español de Arte Contempoáneo, Madrid/ Museum of Contemporary Art, Belgrade/ Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Modern Art, Kobe.
- The Phantom Yamamura Collection, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Modern Art, Kobe.
- Gutai: Unfinished Avant-garde Group, The Shōtō Museum of Art, Tokyo.
Giappone all’avanguardia: Il Gruppo Gutai negli anni cinquanta, Galleria Nazionale d’Arte Moderna, Rome.
- Gutai: Japanische Avantgarde 1954-1965, Mathildaenhöhe Darmstadt.
Adventurers in Painting: Gutai, Fukuoka Art Museum, Fukuoka.
- Artists of the Gutai Art Association, The Miyagi Museum of Art, Sendai.
Gutai I, Ashiya City Museum of Art & History [93 II, III ].
Outdoor Exhibition Revisited, Ashiya Park.
- Art of Ashiya in the Taishō, Shōwa and Heisei Era, Ashiya City Museum of Art & History.
Grand Opening Exhibition at the Museum of Art, Kochi - Ark of Art, The Museum of Art, Kochi.
- Aspects of Post-war Art: From the Yamamura Collection, Chiba City Museum of Art.
- Torino, Parigi, New York, Osaka. Tapié. Un Art Autre, Galleria Civica d’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea di Torino/ Espace d’Art Moderne et Contemporain de Toulouse et midi Pyrénées.
- Gutai, Galerie Nationale du Jeu de Paume, Paris.
- Artists of the Gutai Art Association, The Miyagi Museum of Art, Sendai.
- Gutai: A Retrospective, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Art, Kobe.
Resounding Spirit: Japanese Contemporary Art of the 1960s, The Gibson Gallery, The Art Museum, The State University of New York at Potsdam.
- Arte de Japão: do Moderno ao Contemporãneo Coleção Hyogo, Museu Oscar Niemeyer, Curitiba.
- Power of Form: Japanese Contemporary Art of the 1950’s and 1960’s from the Collection of the Osaka City Museum of Modern Art, Shinsaibashi Gallery, Osaka City Museum of Modern Art.
- Gutai: The Spirit of an Era, The National Art Center, Tokyo.
- Experimental Exhibition of Modern Art to Challenge the Mid-Winter Burning Sun: Gutai Historical Survey and Contemporary Response, Walter and McBean Galleries, San Francisco Art Institute.
- Gutai x International; Go Overseas, Ashiya City Museum of Art & History.
3rd Exhibition of Collection Gallery, The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto.
- A Feverish Era: Art Informel and the Expansion of Japanese Artistic Expression in the 1950s and ‘60s, The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto.
A Feverish Era in Japanese Art: Expressionism in the 1950’s and 1960’s, BOZAR, Centre for Fine Arts, Brussels.
Collections, The Museum of Art, Kochi.
- New Acquisitions Exhibition, Ōtani Memorial Art Museum, Nishinomiya City.
INTUITION, Palazzo Fortuny, Venice.
Major Public Collections
Ashiya City Museum of Art & History/ Bridgestone Museum of Art, Tokyo/ Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Art, Kobe/ Kitakyushu Municipal Museum of Art/ Osaka City Museum of Modern Art/ Ōtani Memorial Art Museum, Nishinomiya City/ The Miyagi Museum of Art, Sendai/ The Museum of Art, Kochi/ The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto/ The National Museum of Art, Osaka/
Axel & May Vervoordt Foundation, Wijnegem/ Les Abattoirs, Toulouse/ Musée Cantini, Marseilles/ Rachofsky Collection, Dallas/ The Art Museum, The State University of New York at Potsdam
Masatoshi Masanobu: In Commemoration of the Publication of MASATOSHI MASANOBU
2018 ARTCOURT Gallery
Click thumbnail for large image.