- Born in Higashi Futami, Futami-cho, Kako-gun, Hyogo Prefecture (now part of Akashi City). His given name was Susumu.
- Establishes Pan-real with Takashi Yamazaki, Makoto Mikami, Masakichi Aoyama, Kazuo Yagi, Osamu Suzuki, Shingo Hoshino, Shigeya Fudo.
Graduates from Kyoto Municipal School of Painting. (now Kyoto City University of Arts) and majors in nihon-ga.
- The Pan-real group forms Pan-real Bijutsu Kyokai (Pan-real Art Association).
Becomes a member of Hyogo Prefecture Nihon-ga Paintersʼ Association.
- Leaves Pan-real Art Association.
- Becomes a member of the Shin-Bijutsu Kyokai (New Art Association)
- Around this time, becomes a member of the Ashiya City Art Association.
Becomes a member of the Gutai Art Association (until 1967)
- Dies at the age of 87
- Ryuji Tanaka, Axel Vervoordt Gallery, Hong Kong
- Ryuji Tanaka, Axel Vervoordt Gallery Antwerp, Wijnegem
- Ryuji Tanaka, Simon Lee Gallery, London/ New York
- Ryuji Tanaka, ARTCOURT Gallery, Osaka
Ryuji Tanaka, Axel Vervoordt Gallery, Antwerp/ Hong Kong
- 2002 Painting/ Passion and Sharpness, Ryuji Tanaka Exhibition, JR Osaka Service Gallery
- Ryuji Tanaka Exhibition Two Expressions, Sunpal 5F Kobe Citizens Gallery, Hyogo
- Ryuji Tanaka Exhibition, Hyogo Prefectural Citizens Hall 1F Special Gallery
- TANAKA RYU peinture—suibokuga, ESPACE JAPON, Paris, France
Ryuji—8 months in Paris Exhibition, Gallery Avenue Kobe, Hyogo
- Drawing Exhibition, Hyogo Prefectural Citizens Hall 2F Medium Hall
- Small Work Exhibition, Space Adesso, Hyogo
Impression of Europe Exhibition, Kaneko Pearl, Hyogo
- Lithograph Exhibition—Impression of Mongolia, Gallery Ashiya Mate, Hyogo
- Ryuji Tanaka Solo Exhibition, Miyako Gallery, Osaka
- Ryuji Tanaka Small Works Exhibition, Ikuta Shrine Hall Gallery, Hyogo
- Impression of Europe, Ryuji Tanaka Nihon-ga Exhibition, SOGO Department Store Kobe Annex 8F Gallery, Hyogo
- Commemorative of the Visiting Europe Exhibition, Kobe International House 5F, Hyogo
- Ryuji Tanaka Solo Exhibition, Kobe International House 5F, Hyogo
- Ryuji Tanaka Solo Exhibition, Takekawa Art Gallery, Tokyo
- Ryuji Tanaka Solo Exhibition, Kobe Hankyu Department Store Gallery, Hyogo
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Hariu Ichiro and Post-War Art, The Miyagi Museum of Art, Sendai
- GUTAI: The Sprit of an Era, The National Art Center, Tokyo
- Hyogo Prefecture Nihon-ga Exhibition, PICA, Perth, Australia
- 1st Akashi Contemporary Artists Exhibition, Akashi City Museum of Culture, Hyogo (Continues to participate in the exhibition until 2014, exact venue is dependent on the year)
Gutai III: 1965‒1972, Ashiya City Museum of Art & History, Hyogo
- Artists of the Gutai Art Association, The Miyagi Museum of Art, Sendai
- Nihon-ga in Kobe after World War Two—PART I—, Kobe City Hall Citizen Gallery, Hyogo
- Hyogo Prefecture Contemporary Art Exhibition “Music”, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Modern Art
- Portopia ʼ81: Hyogo Contemporary Art Exhibition The Sea, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Modern Art
- Jiro Yoshihara and Todayʼs Aspects of the Gutai, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Modern Art
- 18 Years of Gutai Art, Osaka Prefectural Gallery
- 1st Hyogo Prefecture Art Festival, Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Modern Art (Also participates in the exhibition: the 3rd one in 1973, the 5th one in 1975 and the 7th one in 1979)
- 19th Gutai Art Exhibition, Tokyo Central Museum (Exhibition travels to Gutai Pinacotheca, Osaka)
- 16th Gutai Art Exhibition, Keio Department Store, Tokyo
15th Gutai Art Exhibition, Gutai Pinacotheca, Osaka
- The First Annual Exhibition of the Sumi-e Society of America, The Nippon Club, New York
- Hyogo Prefecture Nihon-ga Paintersʼ Association Exhibition (Continues to participate in the exhibition until 2003, exact venue is dependent on the year)
- 1st Pan-real Exhibition (Continues to participate in the exhibition until 5th one in 1950, exact venue is dependent on the year)
Selected Invitational Exhibitions
- 16th Akashi City Exhibition (Continues to participate in the exhibition until 1992, exact venue is dependent on the year)
- 7th Japan International Art Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum
- 5th Contemporary Japanese Art Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum (Also participates in the 6th exhibition in 1964)
15th Ashiya City Exhibition (Continues to participate in the exhibition until 2004, exact venue is dependent on the year)
- 3rd New Art Association Exhibition (Also participates in the exhibition from the 7th one in 1960 to the 14th one in 1967, exact venue is dependent on the year)
Selected Public Collections
Hyogo Prefectural Museum of Art/ The Miyagi Museum of Art/ Ashiya City Museum of Art & History, Hyogo/ Nakanoshima Museum of Art, Osaka/ Art Institute of Chicago/ Tate Modern, London/ The Rachofsky Collection, Dallas